Saturday, July 10, 2004

Goodbye Froog!

The frugal gourmet is gone. I just saw that Jeff Smith had passed away on Wednesday.

I met him, on the market in Seattle about 5 years ago. I was having lunch at one of the counters in the market and I heard a commotion. An older couple was trying to photograph him as he was moving through the crowd. He yelled to them to stop and wait. He was on one of those scooter/get-about thingys that folks use. He did not want them to photograph him that way. Instead, he got off the scooter, shook the people's hands, and spoke with them for a few minutes. He then had someone else take a photo of the group.

This, of course, interrupted my lunch. After the couple walked away, he turned to me and apologized for the disturbance. He struck me as a genuinely nice guy. Too bad about all the trouble he had late in life.

Bye Froog

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home