Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Listening to Air America Radio

As you undoubtedly know, the only place to hear this radio 'network' is to listen on-line. There is like 1 radio station broadcasting the liberal network. I have been able to listen to Randi Rhodes and The Majority Report (Janeane Garofalo).

I have not yet had a chance to hear the flagship show (The O'Franken Factor). I've heard maybe 30 minutes of Al. So I can't really review Al for you. Sorry.

Randi's show is actually good. She has a great radio voice, good bumper music, good show structure (move along at right pace for talk radio). As a host Randi is also good. She listens, lets the callers make her look smart (she actually does seem smart), and just seems like a real radio personality.

The Majority Report is a tradegy. This program seems to want to parody what they 'heard' the Rush Limbaugh show is like. Jeneane who used to be funny, makes wild accusations, espouses made up view points and seems in general to just want to state her position on issues without any kind of logic or reasoning.

That's actually the biggest problem I see with the whole network so far. They don't even entertain different viewpoints. The callers seem highly screened (I have yet to hear a caller disagree), there's a lot of back-slapping and general "look how smart we are" type of commentary. Majority Report is more painful because there appears to be no one who knows how to make a radio show listenable. Again Randi is good.

One real question though, why is Randi so confused in her political affiliation? She states the facts, sees the truth and then after assembling her data, chooses a bizarre conclusion.

One last observation, I am a radical conservative (I'm just to the right of Attilla the Hun). Yet I listen and expose myself to the liberal inputs to hear their arguments. Then, I hear Garofalo say, "I can't watch Fox news". WTF, over. Garofalo, this is how you got confused, you only hear the liberal side of the story. And this type of behavior seems endemic to the liberal side of the house. They don't even listen to the other side. They don't want discourse, they want you to do what they tell you is best for you.

Overall, this network will probably fail. Not because of ideology, but because in general it's bad radio. I have a family to tell me how great I am.

Please note I intentionally did not include any (well, 1 quote) concrete examples, I'm following suit to give the reader the experience of hearing the programming, in case they fold before you can hear it.

Today's State: GREEN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home