Monday, August 30, 2004

late nite blogging

I'm suffering through a late night release tonite. A new version of software is released upon the world. Somehow, and every company I work for thinks like this, we only release new software during times when very few people should be online. I say, why? I want sleep regular hours. I want instant feedback. I want to be able to access instant help if there is trouble.

Why should we do this when it's inconvenient for me? I know the automobile dealer makes me lose sleep to purchase their cars. Why should the people buying our product be treated with courtesy? The grocery store doesn't care if I have to wait in line. And don't get me started on the DOL.

I know I prefer instant feedback. If the customer doesn't know I'm changing their application, how do they know I'm working? If something is broken after I work on it, wouldn't you want to know sooner, not 10 or 12 hours later when you get on line. If my program is going to suffer under heavy usage, I wanna know now!

I also know that I want to be able to get support if stuff I'm doing doesn't work. My auto mechanic stops working at six. Try to get an electrician after 5pm. When the trees blew into my home late one evening, days passed before the county showed up to help.

So another late night push continues. I lose sleep. The customers don't know what we're doing. I have no help, but fortunately my team rocks. So tell me why?!?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home