Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Real Property Associates - customer service!

My kitchen sink stopped up. So, I can't wash dishes by hand and I can't run the dishwasher. We can't cook, cause we can't clean. Not an emergency, but not something that can last more than a day, realistically.

Last night we took the liquid plummer route. No dice.

Early this morning, I called the landlord (rental agency). Real Property Associates (RPA).
I called RPA at 8:30, cause I was thinking, I don't wanna pay for some expensive ass plumber. RPA, of course, isn't in the office until 9am. I leave a message.

I call back at 9am and speak to a "real" person. Apparently I need to log this sort of request with my property manager (Mike). The "real" person tells me she will send email to Mike and to maintenance. The question in my brain is, "why do I need a property manager?"

I call back at 10:15 because Mike has yet to call me. Mike says, "Oh yeah, I sent email to the maintenance guy (Lynne-sp?) and he should be out late this afternoon. It's not an emergency." Reminds me of a Steve Martin bit about the word 'opt'. He says he was drinking a thick milkshake and the shake was so thick that it created a vacuum that sucked his face into the straw. Since he knew he wanted to go into show biz, he 'opted' to have the straw cut off. Since I want to use my kitchen, I would opt to have the plumber here before my wife get's home from work. So I asked Mike, "What's later this afternoon? 1pm, 3pm, 5pm?" Mike says, "I dunno, I just send email. I don't know his schedule." Well, thanks a lot Mike. What, precisely, do you do for me as my property manager? I pay rent to your company. RPA must take a cut of my rent to pay your salary. Don't you think you could at least know the schedule of your company's maintenance department? Am I being unreasonable? BTW, as a courtesy, even if you don't know maintenance's schedule, you could call me back and let me know you are handling it. This is your job, right? WTF? over.

At this point I'm thinkin, these chuckle-heads won't be able to even look at my problem until 5pm. There's no way I have a kitchen I can use tonite. I'm concerned.

Sure enough, Lynne arrives at 3pm. By 4pm Lynne has diagnosed the problem as one that he is unqualified to resolve. Lynne calls a real plumber. The real plumber can't make it until tomorrow morning. BTW, I coulda called Roto-Rooter at 6am today and gone to the office.

Fortunately, my wife was home. She's much better at confrontation than I am. Roto-Rooter showed up at 4:30pm. Our kitchen works again. Oh, and I had to give the RR guy a check. So guess what RPA, you get a receipt instead of a check this month.

Tally:
1 day wasted waiting
$200 to RR
Coronary inducing level of anger with landlord
Seeing wife "dope-slap" maintenance guy - priceless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home