Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Poker perspectives

Had an interesting conversation with my dad this week.

Dad lives in rural Ohio. He lives a couple miles north of the Ohio river. This part of the country is very much in the bible belt. I think there is a 2:1 church to resident ratio. The economy is very much based on farming, tobacco and cattle. These are "regular" folks.

Apparently this "poker craze" has infected rural Ohio. The county where dad lives has decided that they want to exploit the poker craze and have charity poker events. This is the idea of the younger members of the community. Dad was concerned how the idea of poker would be received by the older members of the community.

I'm not sure how far poker is going to get in southern Ohio. Dad's perspective that was that gambling is still a vice and frowned upon by the church going community. Dad was amused by the argument that poker is not a game of chance but rather a games of skill. His comment to me was, "Can you picture some 20-something year old guy, trying to convince some old farmer of that argument?" I suspect my dad is probably correct. He is one of those "old-farmers" that the kids need to convince. In fact, dad laughed at me when I agreed with the argument.

Those old guys are tough to convince.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home