Thursday, January 13, 2005

Watching TV (again)

I saw a brilliant piece of reality television last night, Nanny 911.

This poor, hapless family has a “professional nanny” live with them for 1 week to help improve their family relationships. Basically to help the mother see what a terrible parent she is and embarrasses her (on national TV) into changing her imperfect ways.

Wow.

This has got to be one of the most degrading experiences a human can put themselves through. We’re all imperfect parents. I know (usually about an hour later) when I have made a parenting error. That’s bad enough, but if there were a TV camera there to put my idiocy on display for all to see….

Literally the nanny comes into this woman’s home and actually does an immediate and obvious better job of parenting this woman’s children. The screeching stops, the hitting stops, all the tension disappears. All of us watching can only think, “What a god-awful mom!”

This has given me my reality TV idea of the week: Mommy Backlash. I think we allow the insulted mother to confront the nanny that “fixed” her family. We pick mothers that were really insulted by the nanny. Maybe we could give the mother a bat or a board with a nail in it, a chance to do some real physical harm. That’s what makes really great television.

Coming next week: Monkey Knife Fights

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home