Thursday, November 30, 2006

Lunch Time

I had a powerful hankerin’ for Asian cuisine yesterday. I saw Timmy’s Wok was down the block. It seemed like a good idea. Then I ate. Then I met Timmy. Man, there are times I miss Seattle.

I saw the name Timmy’s Wok and it reminded me of my old cube mate Tim Nguyen. Tim is a great guy. He is Vietnamese and it looks like he can cook. When he would bring his lunch from home, I would actually experience food-envy. So I looked at the sign and I thought, “I’d eat whatever came out of Tim Nguyen’s Wok. And truthfully all I really require is that a meal be hot and stay down. So how bad can it be at Timmy’s Wok?”

First of all it turns out that Timmy is an expert in the buffet. For $5.99 you get all the Midwestern-Asian cuisine you can eat. There was quite a spread. There were fried egg rolls, chicken wings, wontons, okra, and sushi?! I sampled the jasmine rice(huh?) the shrimp and chicken in sauce, and the black pepper chicken which was prepared with jalapenos. Suddenly $5.99 seemed like an outrageous amount of money.

Then Timmy stepped out of the kitchen. Oh my. A 240lb ex-marine looking dude with a social disorder and a chef’s license, he sat down to ask me how I was enjoying my meal. I could tell that Timmy was unhappy I hadn’t cleaned my plate. He was downright disappointed that I wasn’t going back to the buffet to fill another plate. I explained to Timmy that I had eaten all I wanted. Timmy tapped the sign and patiently explained to me that the sign said all you CAN eat, not all you WANT to eat. Timmy was under the impression I could eat some more.

Not wanting to disagree with Timmy, I stood up as if I was heading back to the buffet but at the end of the row instead of turning right toward the buffet I turned left toward the exit. I ran. I threw 7 dollars at the lady behind the counter up front as I dashed past. I finally understood the look of pity on her face when I arrived 20 minutes earlier. I ran the 2 blocks back to my office, sprinted through the security door, sat down at my desk and considered ordering out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what do you expect in Dayton?

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home