Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Adorable!

As you can tell by the title, I was going to talk about our President’s address on TV two nights ago. I think I’ll give it a rest.

What I really did was finally read Hemingway’s short story, A Clean Well Lighted Place. I truly believe the short story is the ultimate American art form. Hemingway was a master. I like the simple prose and the layered meaning. I like the unspoken comparison among the 3 men at three stages in their respective lives. I like that the old man never actually speaks.

I have heard music described as the silence between the notes. This story (again) illustrates that the art is in the words not written as much as the words on the page. If you haven’t read it, go do so now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim Big Toe said...

I'll read it after I finish David Copperfield. It better be good or I'll make you pay up on that beer you owe me!

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home