Thursday, December 01, 2005

A Death Close to Home

We had some bad news this week. My wife’s best friend died. There was much crying and gnashing of teeth. Everyone I speak to extend their condolence. Many are sad, myself included.

Her friend wasn’t all that old. Many people would consider her friend just a baby. Her friend didn’t have near the lifespan anyone would have projected. An early death is always a sad one.

But I guess like Indiana Jones says, “it ain’t the years, it’s the mileage”. And so it is in this case. My wife’s friend’s life was spent running. My wife’s friend was always serving others. Never once before this time did my wife’s best friend ever need anything beyond my wife’s attention and occasionally mine or our daughter’s.

And reliability was, until now, never an issue. If my wife and I had a fight, her friend was there for her. Whenever things got tough at work her friend was there. But her friend was there for the good times too. Her friend was with us when my wife and I have had some of our best times. Her friend was a main attraction at our most successful get-togethers. My wife’s best friend has even been there for me in the few times my wife has been unable to spend time with me.

We will the friend. Goodbye old friend. You lived well, but far too short. You’d think a 52” rear projection TV would last longer than the 3 years we had her. So yesterday, the wife and I went out and bought a new best friend: 42” plasma screen. We certainly were charmed by the new friend, but can you really ever replace the bond?

2 Comments:

Blogger Glen Wyrovsky said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plasma what!

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home