Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A Little Night Music

Just for you, a glimpse into my personal life.

My wife and I have slightly different sleep patterns. I am very singular of focus. My wife has a wider variety of preferences. Generally we work things out. Sometimes, there are conflicts.

I like to choose a go to sleep time. I take myself to bed at that time. I prepare myself for sleep prior to that time. When the appointed time arrives I go to the bedroom, get in bed, turn off the light, and go to sleep. I like to get six or seven consecutive hours of sleep. This is important to me.

My wife is different. My wife thinks that the appointed time to retire is the time to start getting ready. My wife grabs a bottle of water, a cup of coffee, and a can of soda before heading to the bedroom. She also likes to bring a book and a magazine as well as turn on the TV. My wife doesn’t seem to mind interruptions to her sleep, but she doesn’t like the light to be turned on after she has shut it off. This is important to her.

We usually work this all out. We choose different bed times. If my wife goes to bed first, I give her about 30 minutes engage in her pre-sleep rituals and that usually works okay. If I retire first, my wife will engage in the majority of her rituals in the living room, and then try to creep into the back room without waking me. I usually pretend not to wake up.

The other night I retired first. My wife came into the room maybe an hour later, so I was in the early stages of sleep. I of course heard her come into the room trying to be quiet. I keep my eyes closed and try to ignore the distraction. I know she is carrying a soda, a cup of coffee, a bottle of water, and a book. It’s her minimal traveling kit. Then I feel the bed get bumped followed by a minor expletive deleted and something to the effect of “I kicked my soda.”

I continue to pretend to sleep. Maybe this will stop soon. I sure hope she cleans up that spilled soda. She runs to the bathroom, I assume to grab a wash rag to clean up the mess. I still pretend to sleep. I want her to clean up the mess. I bought my wife a “Clapper” for xmas which she attached to her night lamp. Now while running between the two rooms trying to clan up and she decides she can’t see well enough in the dark to clean up. Next she is shouting, “Light! On!”, “Light! On!” I pretend to sleep.

It’s all good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Glen Wyrovsky said...

you forgot today's status. Sounds like yellow.

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Larry, This is ABSOLUTELY hilarious - Now this is reality i like to watch!

love,
lil sis

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home