Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Verbal Oppression in America

I need to talk about some thing that has been bothering me lately. I was accosted in a restaurant by a total stranger.

I was having drinks in a restaurant with some coworkers a few weeks ago. We were chatting and joking and laughing about a variety of subjects. No one was drunk and we were not really loud and we were not using offensive language (no one was swearing).

However, I was compelled to do my bit about how I only wear clothing made in sweat shops. I joke about how ‘only oppressed people can get the stitching right.’ I went a little further than usual and said that I would love to have my own sweat shop in my basement and have my entire wardrobe sewn for me every day.

It was silly and funny and I thought it was so ridiculous that no one could take me seriously. I was wrong.

I got up from our table and headed to the restroom. As I passed the host station someone, who had apparently been waiting for me, approached me. This gentleman said to me, “Excuse me, I overheard you talking about sweatshops…”

I not being interested in conversation or conflict because I had to pee, verbally cut him off and said, “I’m sorry if you were offended.” I love that non-apology. Anyway the guy then says, “You should watch what you say.” I walked away toward the restroom, he left the restaurant.

I was washing my hands after urinating before I realized what he had said. In classic fashion, I had the perfect comeback while washing my hands. I should have said, “Or what?” But of course all I was thinking was, “can I walk away now? I need to pee.” So I said nothing.

What was this clown thinking? How did this guy know it was safe to accost me? What wimp vibe do I put out that this numbnut felt that he could confront me? And why was he so upset? And further why was my conversation so damn interesting to him? I could understand if he thought I was not funny. But this guy took me seriously enough to threaten me, but not seriously enough to be threatened by me.

Postscript: I have continued to tell my sweatshop jokes in public. My friends and I are bored with the joke, but now I’m obligated. I hate that guy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home