Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Back from New Jersey

I’m back from New Jersey. We went to Nana’s funeral on Monday and saw all the extended family. I spent 20 hours in the car with my Mom, Dad, brother, sister and wife. On the upside, my job situation is resolving itself but not quite the way I had thought. It was another lost weekend.

Sunday night was the visitation, Monday the service and graveside ceremony followed by the repast at a local restaurant. It was strange to see all the relatives. There are 19 grandchildren with me being the oldest. I spoke to all the aunts and uncles. There are simply too many. I just can’t take that crush of people.


Here's a good photo. My wife, my mother, 2 aunts, my brother, and a couple of cousins.


Of course, the pain of being in a too small room with too many people was alleviated by being in a car with 5 other adults for 10 hours on each side of the actual festivities. The drive was truly performance art at its best. There was my dad the clown, my brother the complainer, my sister the organizer, my mom the griever, my wife the sleeper, and me the tattletale. I was very proud of all of us. We all remained in character and played our parts for 20 hours. I am constantly amazed at human beings capacity for pain.

Finally we got home to find out that my wife has a job offer in Columbus. This means that I need to turn down the job offers in Cincinnati and commence my search in Columbus. I had thought that the recruiting companies I was dealing with would be upset. I was turning what should have been a done deal into a sunk cost for them. Oddly enough, they just want the chance to prostitute me in Columbus. How do these people shave themselves in the morning? It’s got to be hard when you don’t cast a reflection in the mirror.

The best part of all this is that yet another weekend has slipped past without doing my chores. I still need to get in touch with my friends here in Ohio. I need to start my Christmas shopping. I need to get a car. I need to finish unpacking. I need to pay bills. Other than that, life is grand.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow I was cut out of the picture! Love Dad.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home