Sunday, June 05, 2005

Millions of Ideas

I am continuing with the theme of goals and ideas. I have promised myself that I will write more regularly in my blog. To that end I have all kinds of ideas to blog about all day. But somehow I just can’t seem to get it done.

Case in point, I was speaking with my buddy Jeff the other night and I had a good idea. Jeff thought it was a good idea too. But instead of writing it down right then and there, I went and did other stuff. I was thinking to myself this is such a good idea I won’t forget it. Of course I did forget.

It’s not that I don’t try. In just this past week I have literally composed (mentally) 4 or 5 really good essays. When I am riding the bus, exercising, cooking dinner, any other menial fairly brain dead task, I compose entire essays in my brain, but since I don’t write them down they are lost. The topics are about… Well if I could remember that, I wouldn’t be writing about this particular mental malady. So what can I do? I write about having nothing to write about…

I have millions of ideas, just not when they are useful to me. It’s the literary corollary to coming up with the perfect put-down or come-back line fifteen minutes after the confrontation. I’m like Homer Simpson. When I need the coherent thought my brain is repeating the theme song from The Brady Bunch. While I’m riding the bus, I am able to envision an efficient cost-effective alternative to fossil fuel.

The best part? I still don’t carry pen and paper with me. I assume that since I came up with the idea once, I’m certain I can recall it later.

They say insanity is repeating the behavior and expecting a different result. Hmmm…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home