Sunday, April 10, 2005

Post popularity or Straw polls to boost my ego

You know, it’s always interesting to me. The entry I write that seems most innocuous, most inane, least contemplated is the post that generates the most ‘chatter’. I post about a terrible week or my last hoorah in Vegas and the silence is deafening. Yet I ‘toss off’ a no-brainer, and kaboom! All of a sudden people can’t say enough.

I posted last week about the pope’s death. I only wrote something because of the media blitz surrounding what I perceived as a non-event. Yet, this post has generated more on-line commentary than anything else I have posted.

Is it because my post was so poorly written that people were not intimidated to post their comments as well? Is it because I so thoroughly explore every other blog topic I pick? Is it because this is the first blog subject I have touched upon that anyone other than me cares about? Does everybody just want to celebrate death? Or (most likely) is it because everybody knows the pope (that guy in the funny hat)?

I do try to put together posts that contain well written, structured thoughts. I rarely succeed. Part of the reason I keep this blog is to try to become a better writer. The other reason I post is to feed my ego. I get a rush knowing people voluntarily read the moronic drivel I write here on a regular basis. So I also try to pick blog topics that have some universal appeal. Then I get positive feedback on a post like the ‘pope’ post. It confuses me.

I know that using the number of follow-up comments to judge any post is as scientific as American Idol voting, but it’s the only metric I have. I suppose I should sate myself with good deeds and not look to others for validation. But I can’t help it, I’m shallow! I mean, there were only 2 responses and one was from my dad. I guess I’m pathetic as well.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So if I post a comment and I feeding your ego? If I post twice does it count twice? Is the Sig Ego good?

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You crack me up. Thanks for plugging my silly little comment.

--Dreeves

P.S. -- I'm wearing the big pope hat right now!

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, you post one message that gets three replies, one of which are from yourself. And then you don't post for two weeks. Are you going to stop blogging while on an upswing?

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, how about 4 comments? Just not sure that post was good enough for 4 real comments.

-Frosty

12:06 PM  
Blogger El Sig said...

I'm going to go buy a big pope hat this weekend. Man I like those hats!

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home