Monday, March 28, 2005

Recurring Themes

They say (whoever the hell they are) that the definition of madness is to continue to do the same thing and expect a different result. Or maybe the analogy of a leopard not being able to change its spots is better here? You can decide.

My good friend, lets call him “Mr. F”, is once again on business travel in Asia. And, once again, Mr. F has trusted his employer to fund this trip. (A trip Mr. F is making on their behalf. Left to his own devices Mr. F would not travel to Asia. Do you know what I mean?) And once again, Mr. F’s employers have left him fiscally high and dry.

I think this is the 3rd time they have done this to him. I will give them credit; they did try to trick Mr. F this time. Mr. F has been requesting a company credit card, specifically for travel, since he was hired, about a year and a quarter ago. Mr. F generates plenty of revenue for the company and simply requires that he not spend his personal wealth on corporate travel. I don’t consider this an unreasonable request. So the company finally managed to give Mr. F a credit card for travel.

Pretty sweet, eh? Well maybe not. It seems Mr. F was having dinner with a client and tried to pay for the meal with said credit card. Lo and behold, said credit card cannot handle the charge. Fifty bucks! C’mon fellas! Apart from the embarrassment that this causes (“I’m Mr. F your credit card was declined. You must be a loser working for some disreputable company”), it can’t be good for client relations. Now Mr. Fish is in Asia, 18 hours ahead of these United States and far from his bank and family and normal support networks. I should also mention that Mr. Fish is staying in a reasonable hotel and racking up around $200/day in room rates while he is there. Oh yeah, and he has to pay for meals too. Just how is he going to do that?

I cannot believe the stunning lack of respect and appreciation for Mr. F’s efforts on behalf of this company over the past year this represents. I have been in a similar situation with far less risk and dissolved a partnership as a result. I know that this company doesn’t believe in respecting employees (or clients). I shouldn’t be surprised and I ‘m not, nut I am still disappointed. This kind of act displays a lack of simple human courtesy. I wouldn’t treat a DMV employee like that.

Please note I have used the words trust and respect again, it’s a recurring theme here. Maybe Mr. F needs to re-evaluate his relationship with his employer. I need to stop now. I have developed a cramp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home