Monday, June 20, 2005

Trip to Ohio

I made a pilgrimage back to the mother land earlier this month. I was invited to the wedding of one of my college buddies. I got to see my parents. I got to visit and party with some folks I have not seen in years. I had a really good time with my wife. All in all it was a very successful trip.

Ohio is the mother land. I’m not really sure why. I was born in North Jersey and look more like Tony Soprano than John Glenn. I live in Seattle and really like it. But I went to high school and college (3 of ‘em!) in Ohio and I started my career there, so I suppose that’s why it’s home.

Anyway, it was great to spend some time with Mom and Dad. I was very nervous about the wedding as I was a part of the wedding party and I didn’t want to goof anything up. I shared with my parent just how nervous I was. I was sweating bullets. My dad theorized that I told me I would likely trip and knock the bride over in the middle of the ceremony. Thanks a bunch Mom and Dad!

The wedding was excellent. It was a lot of fun to share an adult beverage and catch up a little with some folks that I used to be fairly close to, but haven’t seen in years. It’s funny how awkward the reunion is at first, but how by the end of the evening the years have melted away. You are exchanging addresses and promising to keep in touch. But even knowing we won’t really be any better at keeping in touch, it just feels good.

The best part of the wedding was that my wife actually enjoyed herself. We danced, drank, and chatted. My friends and my wife were able to bond a little and my wife relaxed and had fun. This is what I was truly most nervous about. Thanks Jeff & Dez!

It was a very good trip to my way of thinking. The weather was awful, hot and sticky. The travel was terrible. Crammed into cattle class on an aircraft full of rude smelly people for 5 hours each way is no fun. Even the movies were weak. I burned 3 of the 5 vacation days I have available this year, so now I can’t even get sick. Yet, I’d do the trip again tomorrow….

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome.

--Dreeves
(somewhere in the Pacific)

3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home