Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I am Santa

You may not know it but I am Santa Claus for a select ‘lucky’ group of children. About 3 years ago a friend of mine surprised me with a phone call over the Christmas holiday. Since that time, I get a call every Christmas eve. I must say, I like being Santa.

My buddy called me back in 2004 because his neighbors little girls were over at his house and they were on the edge of misbehaving. He called me totally spontaneously and I answered the phone to be addressed as ‘Santa’. I quickly understood what was being asked of me and I played along. Unfortunately when Santa asked the little girl about being mean to her sister, the little girl burst into hysterics. I suppose it’s very traumatic for a young person to be caught misbehaving by Santa.

Then last year my buddy called me again. This time I knew he was going to call and I knew that Santa would be speaking with his 4 year old son. We also decided that Christmas Eve is the best time for this call. My friend’s son and I had a good conversation, Santa was distracted by his reindeer and a 4-year old isn’t necessarily the most focused individual but it was fun. This year Santa spoke to the (now) 5 year old and his 7 year old cousin.

Both my friend and I seem to enjoy this tradition. I like the power of being Santa. I like the kid’s fear and awe of speaking to Santa. My friend really seems to enjoy the fact that his kids think he has a direct line to Santa. Not only that, but Santa will take my friend’s call on his busiest night of the year. Now that’s being on the A-List!

So now I’m thinking that Santa probably has a maximum of 2 more years to be on-call on Christmas Eve. I think I will miss the tradition. I was considering offering this service to my other friends with small children. Then I thought, this is a revenue opportunity. I could set up a website to accept ‘orders’. The call could be scheduled by the website and the person setting up the call could enter whatever information they wanted Santa to talk to the child about. I could even generate a mailing list. I could really be Santa. I would rock!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhh...will you bounce me up and down on your lap BIG SANTA?!?

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home