Monday, April 03, 2006

Drunken Dialing

I got a call from a couple of friends from high school Friday night. It was kind of strange. I know they were engaging in the drunk dialing plan, but I was pleased nonetheless. It was really great to hear from them. The conversation wasn’t quite coherent, but it was fun.

These were the 2 people with whom I spent most of high school. It’s kind of funny, the one guy I still quote whenever the opportunity arises. The other I tell stories about as if he were a mythical character like Paul Bunyan or a smart person from Kentucky.

I told them that I quote them and claim credit for their exploits. They laughed and told me that I had it easy because I had moved so far away from home I don’t have to face the pain of the mistakes I made earlier in life. I suppose they’re right.

It’s strange how you can drift apart, years and miles and lifestyles (no, none of us are gay), and yet still feel the connection. The conversation ended the way these conversations usually do. We promised to do better to keep in touch. And for my part I sent email right away. But I wonder. We all have wives and children to deal with. We all have jobs that consume mass chunks of our time.

But somehow, I think it’ll be okay. Whenever we get together the years melt away. It feels as though we’re eighteen again facing a world of limitless possibilities and having not been beaten down by life. We all need relationships like that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was not drunk. It was not me. I was at the church. Praying.

Somethings are as constant as the northern star.

6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home